The artwork you buy and display in your home or office says something about you and what's important to you.
Whether you're just looking to fill an empty space or are thinking about starting/expanding your art collection, here are some points you'll want to consider:
- Love it. You're going to have to look at your art everyday, so be sure it's something you'll enjoy being around.
- Buy the best pieces your budget will allow.
- Keep an eye out for work that speaks to you and learn about who created it.
- Build your collection slowly. Your tastes will evolve over time.
- Understand the big picture. You're not just buying something for your wall or flat surface, you're supporting an artist.
- The local market is better than you think. There are hidden gems everywhere: at art fairs, student art exhibitions, etc. Supporting local artists builds a strong community.
- Work with a gallery you trust. The kind of gallery you'll want to do business with will work with your budget and introduce you to art pieces you might not find on your own.
- Lynne Guimond Sabean